Carving Wayin No. 10
Only a few left in stock
Wayin translates as bird. Within the spiritual law of North East Arnhem land it is accepted that the spirit of deceased people is guided to its appropriate destination by a bird from that clan.
This work is a decorative piece made from renewable wood which is usually harvested from the tree in the dry season. Preferred woods are Maḻwan (Hibiscus Tiliaceus), Gunhirr (Blind-Your-Eye-Mangrove), Wuḏuku (mangrove wood), Barraṯa (Kapok). The wood is skinned and left to dry for a short period. It is then shaped by a knife or axe. After the surface is sanded smooth the painting begins. The paints used are earth pigments: red (meku), yellow (Gaŋgul) and black (gurrŋan). After an outline of the composition is laid down the marwat or crosshatching commences. An alternative to painting the cross hatching is to use a razor to incise fine lines and reveal the light coloured wood underneath.
Buku-Larrŋgay Mulka Centre is the Indigenous community controlled art centre of North East Arnhem Land. Located in Yirrkala, a small Aboriginal community on the North Eastern tip of the Top End of the Northern Territory, approximately 700km east of Darwin. Our primarily Yolŋu (Aboriginal) staff of around twenty services Yirrkala and the approximately twenty-five homeland centres in the radius of 200km.
Wayin Statue Height Approximately: 33cm
* Orders are typically processed and dispatched within 48 hours (excluding weekends and public holidays).
* DHL Express is free on orders over [DYNAMIC 1]
* Orders shipped to non-Australian locations may incur duties, customs charges and fees. It is the responsibility of the customer to check criteria which may apply to their order, and to organise any applicable payment to ensure the order reaches its intended recipient
* All items shipped with tracking and insurance.
* For the most current DHL Express delivery times, please check their website for updates.
* For Custom Orders (large volume/corporate), please contact us for a custom shipping quote.
* We do not refund for change of mind purchases or incorrect size/item choice selection
* Refunds are only issued if the item is deemed damaged or faulty
* Welcome to Country is a not-for-profit marketplace
* Your purchase benefits Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists and communities
* Fair licensing agreements and fair royalties paid
* Helping to keep the world’s oldest living culture strong